Smiley Face Chart

I'm always trying to think of creative ways to discipline.  I know, sounds kind of odd.  I'm a firm believer in spanking.  But, there comes a point when children understand more and are able to think through their consequences which leaves you to be creative in how you display and enforce consequences.

As a parent, I also felt as though I was harping on my kids all day long; continually pointing out all of the negative (which is very easy to do) and forgetting that all in all, they are good kids too!  The realization came to me that I needed to focus on that good more.  Just as important as helping them realize what's wrong in life, I need to help them see those things that are good.

Here's what I came up with.  The Smiley face chart.


Sorry it's sideways.  For the life of me I couldn't get it to flip...

Obviously Calvin's a little too young for this yet (and still responds quite well to an occasional spanking).  William and I sat down, discussed the consequence for when he reached eight sad faces and the reward for when he reached eight smiley faces.   This way I knew that either one was going to mean a lot to him.

So far, I think he's doing pretty good.
And as for me, it's really helping my focus on encouragement.
Double win!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jan. 25th, 2010 Not long before he'll be running!

March 25th, 2009 First SMILE! 1 month, 2 weeks, 4 days

A Bountiful Harvest