Harvest

I'm always taken aback at how the Lord blesses our little family. It's been made quite obvious over the years how much I enjoy getting my hands in the dirt, planting seeds and watching them grow into the vebetables that feed my family. I guess this year I realized how much I take it for granted. Conclusion was made that my soil is in need of some serious ammending. Tiny seedlings barely grew into mature plants, most without bearing anything beyond leaves. We watched, we waited, and only left with an armful of food...meniscule in comparison to years past and the basket loads we'd carry out). Not only did I realize how much I take my garden for granted, I also realized how thankful I am for our nearest neighbors-gardeners extroidinaire! Their skilled hands (and generosity!) resulted in boxes of fresh vegetables that I was able to take home and use. A huge THANK YOU to the Rabes! Here the boys are, after the realization that the garden had halted growth after only 2 inch sprouts, helping me fertilize. Water it in Calvin!

Add caption

We still managed to rummage up some goods. We truly are blessed by where we live and all that we have around us...








Our blueberry field on the other hand, did quite well this year. About halfway through harvest this year, we quickly realized that we're going to push ouselves into blueberry overload in the very near future. With 350 plants that are growing steadily each year, things might get crazy!
Blueberry production in 2012= 140lb
Blueberry production in 2013= 705 lb. (don't worry boys, I've got 150lbs in the freezer for your smoothies...okay mine too)
Their teeth have been permanently blue all summer long...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jan. 25th, 2010 Not long before he'll be running!

March 25th, 2009 First SMILE! 1 month, 2 weeks, 4 days

A Bountiful Harvest