Welcome to WVCS!

There are so many words that come to mind when I think about the opportunity we have to send William to private school this year.  I know there are many who want to and can't, whether it be financially, location or otherwise.  I thank the Lord again and again that we are able.  Blessed is the only word that seems adequate.

So many of the people we've met so far at Willamette Valley Christian School (WVCS) will often ask how we found out about the school, fully expecting that we know someone who already attends.  They're often surprised when I tell them, "Nope.  We just found it online."  Odd these days we live in, that you can just research and pick and choose all from the internet.  Of course, we met with some of the staff and even talked with a few parents, but we're looking forward (and expecting) to meeting lots of new faces as we start off the school year in a brand new place.

William's first grade class is one of the largest classes at WVCS at 17 students.  It's a much welcomed reprieve from the 27 he had in Kindergarten.  The school operates preK to 12th grade and of course varies in class sizes from year to year.  Already, we can tell that definitely William thrives more in a smaller environment.

We had a rough first day (as was expected for such a big transition).  He clung, cried and chased me out the door when I tried to leave.  He didn't know a soul except for another boy of whom we had done a few playdates with during the summer.  I had asked the boy if he wouldn't mind including William since he didn't know anyone else and his reply was, "Why?"  Broke. my. heart.  I was hoping William hadn't just heard what I had and that if he did, he didn't understand the implication.  I know the boy didn't mean it to be as hurtful as it was, but I then had a hard time keeping my tears under control after that.  I was excited for William; encouraging him on his new adventure.  But when a Mama sees her boy lonely, you can't help but feel a deep sadness.

Redemption...A couple of the teachers came over and asked if they could take over.  They could see that I had tried and that I needed help.  They wrapped their arms around William, prayed with him and reminded him that God would help him be strong (just as we have told him so many times).  A huge surge of peace rushed over me.  I knew, at that point, that this would be a catalyst of his courage  W.it people there to remind him of where his true source of strength comes from, I knew then that he would be ok.

The second day of school?  Well, it was almost as if the first day hadn't happened.  He's growing up; developing a level of confidence he didn't have before as I learn to let go.
Transitions (hopefully) are getting easier (o;

The infamous first day pic

Wasn't it just yesterday that this said Kindergartener...? (Out of the new school shirts he had to choose from, he wore this one.  Made my heart melt.)

These two...

There's a special bond they have.   It's gonna change this year as William's in school all day.  I'm looking forward to some one on one time with Calvin though.  There won't be any lack of play time, that's for sure.  He told me he's already excited about working on writing his letters with Mom while William's gone (o;  He'll be long ready for school before his time.  
Caught this pic on one of our last walks through the orchard before the school year started.  I made them sit there so I could just look at them for a bit.  Time passes too quickly.  They won't be this little ever again.

Comments

Davericka said…
Happened to check in to my blogger account after ages of being away... Fun to read updates on your family! I miss you guys. I teared up reading this post of William's first days at his new school. SO happy that he has transitioned well (after the initial first day)! Sounds like a wonderful environment for you all to be a part of! Happy for you guys. By the way, did I see you driving down Barlow the other day in a new van by chance??

Popular posts from this blog

Jan. 25th, 2010 Not long before he'll be running!

March 25th, 2009 First SMILE! 1 month, 2 weeks, 4 days

A Bountiful Harvest