Jan. 12th, 2012 Potty Training

We've been working with William on potty training. We started seriously thinking about it this past Summer, when he could run around naked outside and watch himself pee (in the grass and not all over the house!). He caught on pretty quickly (to the peeing part that is) and had fun picking different objects to pee on (trees, rocks, leaves...fortunately not the dogs). Then, I decided we weren't gonna push the issue until after brother was born. I'd heard all kinds of people tell me that he would likely just regress, so I figured we'd at least introduce the whole concept and pick back up after Calvin was born.

Sportin' the birthday suit while we practiced outside...I'm sure the pool had plenty of pee in it too.


We told William that babies like Calvin wore diapers and that he wasn't a baby anymore. I guess this is where big boys wear their diapers...And for some reason I can't find this picture of this one for the life of me (one of William wearing a diaper on his head)! It was a good one too )o: If I find it, I'm re-posting it here.

It's gotten a little interesting since Calvin arrived. The frantic run to the bathroom often happens when I'm feeding Calvin, which creates a bit of an inconvenience when I need both hands to help William get his pants down in time.

Needless to say, I "wear" little brother A LOT. Here we are, multitasking while we wait for the big poo...Sometimes he gets so caught up in me reading Curious George to him while we wait that he forgets why we're there in the first place.



Calvin, you getting this? You're up next. Potty trained by 18 months?!?


Funny side note: We did actually get some results (poo in the potty, oh yeah!), which then led to some crazy dancing (yes, I'm sure I looked crazily goofy, but William loved it), lots of hip hip hoorays, high fives and a handful of jelly beans (after wiping and washing our hands of course). I was overly joyed, to say the least (any mom who's been there can share in this excitement). But results weren't achieved until after we had sat on and got off the toilet around 20 times. This led to William's bottom sticking to his toilet seat when he would get off which he explained started to hurt him. At about try #19, this was his request:

"Mama, kiss it?" As he bends over in front of me.

I laughed, which of course led to him laughing too. But he was serious. Doesn't Mom's kiss on all my ouchies make them better? I told him this was one exception (o:

Oh, the joys...

I've learned one thing: You can't push the idea. You can introduce it, provide all the rewards in the world, throw a party when it's a success...but it won't sink in until he's ready. He'll be 3 in a few short weeks and rest assured he won't be 10 yrs old and still working on it. There is an end in sight!

Comments

Tauna Pile said…
OH my goodness. I laughed so hard when I read, "Mommy, kiss it?" I would've been crying on the floor laughing with my child staring at me like I was crazy. William is too cute for life. Can't wait to see him!
He's so cute! Have you tried putting him in pants that he can just pull down, such as jeans with the elastic waste or sweat pants? Then he can run in by himself? I also bought Logan a little froggy potty that can move anywhere in the house. Logan could go on it anytime. I also let Logan run around naked in the house, and it actually worked pretty good. We didn't have very many accidents. The other thing you could try is using a stool so he can stand and use the big toilet. Then he doesn't have to have your help. I'm just trying to think of ways to free you up so you can feed baby Calvin. : )

Popular posts from this blog

Jan. 25th, 2010 Not long before he'll be running!

March 25th, 2009 First SMILE! 1 month, 2 weeks, 4 days

A Bountiful Harvest